I love to bake and I absolutely love Christmas, so naturally I was bound to combine the two! I’m not someone who eats overly healthy, but when I came across this recipe it looked like a simple way to sneak in spinach without having to taste the spinach! I also thought because of their bright green colour it was a nice festive touch for the holidays.
This particular recipe works best if you use fresh spinach (not the frozen stuff!)
With the help of the mashed bananas and cinnamon, the spinach goes practically unnoticed (other than the colour!)
I’m really happy with how these turned out and I will definitely be making them again! It’s a great way have added nutrients packed into a great tasting muffin!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 (6 ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
- 2-3 mashed bannas, I used 3!
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- chocolate chips (optional, but necessary! :))— I did half and half
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl: flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender, place oil, milk, and spinach. Blend on high for about 30 seconds or until completely puréed. Add banana and vanilla; blend on low just to mix.
- Pour puréed mixture into dry mixture until completely combined.
- Fill muffin cups about ⅔ full and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
I’d love to hear what you guys think of these if you choose to try them out! 🙂